[IP] My flight experience

I went to Tom's party via South Bend, IN to St. Louis, MO, to Phoenix, AZ.
No problems at all. They do not provide meals even for DMers on economy
class and you are encouraged to take your own. We are allowed two carry-ons.
I had my wheeled carry-on, my purse, and my bag with my lunch. The only
comments were: Oh, you brought me food!

Since I have 6 heart blockages and low energy from kidney failure, my friend
Jane requested a wheelchair. For the $4 tips it was well worth it. They knew
the layouts of the airports as well as could hurry for short layovers. I
could not have kept up the pace.

On the way back, however, I set off the alarm in Phoenix. The security
person at the beginning of the line held her hand almost touching my back
and I tried to move away and she kept coming at me. I can't stand the back
touching and I told her I'm pretty sensitive. She kept pointing where I
needed to go so I went when she put her hand down. They told me I needed to
sit down on the cardtable-type chair. The *wand-er* was very congenial and
asked if I'd had this done before. No, but I was familiar with it. She held
a funny gun-type shape and I asked if it was a fancy gun to shoot me? She
laughed. I said I had an insulin pump and that probably set it off. She

She had me stick my foot out to check my shoes and the alarm went off. They
took both shoes from me in a container and that guard walked away as she
continued. After I got them back and looked at them, they are black flats
with a shoelace-type bow tied on the front for decorations. The ends have
tiny metal aglets (shoestring ends). That itsy bitsy metal set it off!

She got to my arms and the right one beeped - that was my watch!!  My left
arm beeped - that was my Medic Alert bracelet!!! Then my waist beeped and
that was my pump, however, I believe it was the metal zipper and key rings
of my coinpurse-type bag that I carry my pump in on a belt (with buckle, of
course). I don't use the clip or holster for Bluda Sue - I have about 50
diff. colored coin-purse/cigarette case bags that can be seen on my BASH
picturetrail album.

Sorry, I must have been a real threat to that airport!!  They did not touch
me with the wand and I cooperated fully and smiled the whole time. It was
interesting and glad I'm on IP to know this happens. YMMV  (~_^)

Someone told me they would provide meals if you told them you had DM and had
to eat. Not so in economy. You need to fly first class for that. :-(  My
hugsband and I ate lunch the day I left, at Lee's Chicken house or whatever.
I saved a piece of chicken and got a biscuit to accompany it. I had a can of
V8 as well, with chips and an apple. No problem. On the way back, I got a
doggy box from IHOP (I gotta buy a dog to keep me honest) for 2 chicken
strips, 2 rolls and 2 cornbread pancakes, and half of my salad. They had
plastic utensils since if I stole a fork, security wouldn't let me keep it.
LOL  American Airlines does provide 2 cookies or a bag of pretzels, and
choice of beverage like Coke or Pepsi (also diet), and Sprite, tomato juice,
orange juice, 1% milk, coffee, or water. Hey, that'll fill you up on a
3.5-hour flight. NOT! They must not include a bag with a meal/food as a
carry on.

I had delightful seat mates on all 4 planes. It was a wonderful weekend as I
got to meet others from two other lists I'm on also. It's snowing in
northern Indiana and 22*F. :-(

Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Wouldn't it be nice if a snowman would WORK instead of just stand there all
day? ~ Tom Glander