RE: [IP] Freestyle Meter (Therasense) buy out

> My niece has a question concerning the Freestyle meter. On a
> Diabetes list where she is a  participant there is a rumor that
> Johnson and Johnson have bought out Therasense. They plan to revamp
> the Freestyle meter and discontinue manufacturing the strips for the
> current one that is on the market. I have not heard this before and
> wondered if anyone on this list has information confirming or
> refuting this information. Seems a rather silly marketing strategy
> to possibly eliminate those many current Freestyle owners who are
> buying lots of expensive strips every month. In the process the
> current owners may not buy the new and improved Freestyle and go to
> an alternate brand. Silly but true or just a rumor? Pam, mom to Sara
> Hi Sara,
> TheraSense has been looking for a partnership/alliance because they
> have had tremendous financial problems. If you can offer additional
> information, I can do some further checking to substantiate this. It
> sounds like it is plausible, but I need to check further.
> Denise

TheraSense is a public company. If J&J were to even purchase a small
interest, there would be public disclosure and SEC filing required
AND you can bet that TheraSense's stock would make some pretty wild
moves. As to their financial condition, I'd suggest you read their
public filings with the SEC (required by law). I think you will find
they have plenty of cash and are pretty much making their forcasts as
released to the press in prior months / years. I'm not an analyst,
but I suspect that given their public statements about growth and
scientific advancements in their diabetes technology, you should
expect some pretty good things from this company. If any of you have
concrete information beyond "rumors" I'd be interested in hearing