Re: [IP] dating and the pump

My husband and I are highschool sweethearts.  We dated for 2 years and I found out I was diabetic.  First, I did diet and exercise.  Slowly begun to not be enough.  Went to the pills.  Slowly begun not to be enough.  So, Doc. said I would have to take insulin for the rest of my life.  Instead of my hubbie running the other way..He did the opposite...I received my engagement ring that week.  It has now been 10 (4 dating and 6 married)   years.......We have a 2 year old son.......a 10 1/2 month old daughter.......and one in the oven due Sept. 5th.......  I started pumping in Dec. and life is wonderful!  Steph
 Myndi Fletcher <email @ redacted> wrote:Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum
members and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation

In my dating experiences... I always kind of thought of it as a test when
I would talk about my diabetes. I would slowly bring "into the picture" my
blood sugar machine and talks of my shots. If they were squeamish then I'd
have to wonder about the long road? If I did become very involved with
someone, I would teach them how to test my sugars (you just never know when
a reaction could happen) and for the really, really serious relationships,
teach how to give a shot.
Fortunatly for me I never encountered someone who behaved "badly" towards
my diabetes. Always got questions galore, but I've always tried to be
pretty open about it. You know, I have never really even thought of it as a
disease!! Just a fact of life. I surely don't pitty someone who takes
blood pressure medicine every day of their life... why should they pitty me?
To everyone who dates, no matter how old you are, I hope you can find
someone who is caring. And you know, in this day and age, lets face it...
it's a lot easier taking care of ourselves than before!! No one even has to
know you're taking a shot (or as my husband amuzingly calls it "shooting up"
ha ha).
Best of luck to all the dating pumpers out there!!
Myndi Fletcher
diagnosed 1982
pumping 1 1/2 years
married 3 months!!