Re: [IP] DME Supplies

>Can anyone clarify this? I have been able in both my last insurance plan
>(a HMO) and this one (a PPO) to get my blood testing strips and my
>lancette devices through the mail order drug place, the local pharmacy, or
>the DME supply place. All three require a RX for them but it costs me a
>lot less to get them from the mail order drug place than through the DME
>place. How come some supplies qualify under both and some are only DME?
>Judi in MI

Depends on the insurance and what they'll pay for.  My prescription mail
order supplier (Merck-Medco) for my insurance (BC/BS of Michigan, Community
Blue PPO) does not supply testing strips or lancets.  I go through another
supplier (Michigan Diabetes Supplies) who bills them to my insurance as
DME.  I can only get insulin and other medications from Merck-Medco through
my BC/BS of Michigan (at least that's what they told me the last time I
called and checked).  I also have to provide my DME supplier with a letter
of medical necessity and prescription for testing supplies even though
they're not covered under prescriptions.  Which is better for me anyways
since my DME is covered 100% and prescriptions have a $5/$10 co-pay.

also in Michigan