[IP] Assistance programs for eye care

DEAR ABBY: I appreciated learning about the VISION USA free eye-care program
that was recently mentioned in your column, but I want you and your readers
to know that there are also other assistance programs available. Every day I
see working people who can't afford insurance for themselves and their
families. That is where the Lions clubs come in.

Many Lions clubs provide assistance with free eye care (exams, glasses and
surgery) for those in need. There are approximately 1.4 million members in
more than 44,600 clubs in 190 countries. Over the years, the Lions have
extended their service to help with hearing exams, hearing aids and medical
assistance for diabetics. We work with local eye-care professionals to help
children and adults.

To get in touch with your local Lions club, check community resources or
visit www.lionsclubs.org. We are ordinary citizens trying to help needy
people in our local areas. We also support youth programs, community
development, eyeglass recycling and much more. Thank you, Abby, for your
longtime support of the Lions clubs throughout the world. -- SANDY CARAWAN,

DEAR SANDY: You are the people who should be thanked for contributing to
your communities in such an important way by helping people who could not
otherwise find assistance.