Re: [IP] how many pumpers ?

In a message dated 1/9/03 5:47:25 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< >>>Add the other
 companies onto that and you have your definite number - as well as the
 additional ones MM has added in 11 months. >>>
 Jan & Elvis responded:
 >>>That doesn't mean that they're all still pumpers. Or that they all still
 are using the same pump. Or that nobody switched pumps.
 However, in the July 2002 issue of Diabetes Interview, in the pumping
 column, it says there were 162,000 pumpers in the United States in 2001. Up
 from 6,600 in 1990.>>>
 I guess that's your answer from adding those other companies, like I said.
 BTW, if they're not using the same pump, and pumping they are still pumpers.

Granted. But then would you add up the original MM numbers, then add the
other company's numbers and maybe get double numbers all over the place? What
if you have 100,000 MM pumpers listed -- but 40,000 of them have switched to
Disetronic -- which says it has 50,000 pumpers. That would add up to 150,000
pumpers -- but there are really only 110,000 pumpers.

Jan and Elvis