Re: [IP] BGs & Epidural Steroid Injections

In a message dated 1/8/03 10:38:10 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Am wondering if anyone has had any experience with having steroid injection
 treatments for back pain...
 I had the injections yesterday for lower back pain & am finding my BG's
 elevated quite a bit...the lowest being 181 & the highest 315 today. I have
 bolused after each reading, but can't seem to get it down to my usual goal
 of 80 to 120.
 I've also increased my basal doses a bit, but a little reluctant to get too
 aggressive with that. <snip> Talked to the Endo's Nurse Practioner prior to
 treatment & she said maybe I'd see a 30 to 50 point increase, but I'm seeing
 a lot more than that. >>

Hehehehe. Reminds me of the time I had a cortisone injection and the NP said
it was like "a bowl of mashed potatoes." Yeah. Right. The size of NYC and
eaten every hour.

Steriods cause insulin resistance and you need to be very aggressive with
your dosages. I don't recall how much more I needed, but it was significant.
Just remember to test, test, test -- 'cause those BGs are gonna come down
soon. They're elevated for maybe a week.

Jan and Elvis