Re: [IP] Re: Moving to Denver

I didn't see the original post that this post is replying to, but I am a
insulin pumping diabetic on Kaiser insurance in Denver. I like Kaiser a lot
- you do get a regular doctor that you see for normal appointments and such
(same doctor each time), and I also see a specific set of people (NP, RN and
RD) in the Endocrinology department. The time when you might see someone
other than your normal doctors is if you want an immediate appointment. They
can almost always get you in with someone on the same day you call, but if
you want your regular doctor you have to schedule up to a month ahead. It
was my PCP on Kaiser who suggested the pump and referred me to

The thing I love about Kaiser is that the doctors and nurses really take the
time to sit down and talk to you and listen to you. I have probably spent
more than 60 hours in talking and training with nurses(CDE) and dieticians
since going to the endocrinology department last March. With previous
doctors, I've felt that they were always in a hurry, and just wanted to
diagnose something and go. The bad part with my Kaiser Plan is the extreme
limitation on what brands of supplies you can get. Currenly my Kaiser Plan
in Denver only pays for MiniMed and Lifescan. I would love a freestyle
tracker, but the strips wouldn't be covered, and I don't want it enough to
pay for strips out of pocket. =) Since the Doctors work for the insurance
company, they do not prescribe things that are not on the formulary.

Be aware that the endocrinology department is only downtown, so it may be a
bit of a drive depending on where you live/work. Its easier to have your
normal PCP nearer to home.

There's also a great insulin pump support group at Kaiser that meets the
first wednesday of each month.

Let me know if there's any information I can help you with on Denver or
Kaiser in Denver. Feel Free to email me privately if you wish - always
looking to meet or help other pump users!

Type 1 8 years, pumping 8 months with Buzz the MM Paradigm