Re: [IP] Advice sought from those who count protein

On 01/08/03 at 07:51, email @ redacted wrote:
> Reply from email @ redacted
> Proteins should be kept in low profile. Most items with proteins include
> fats. Both of the above are not to be taken in large doses per day.
> Proteins may contribute to BGs, but you will find a better way to correct
> your counting if you subtract fiber from the carbs total when calculating.
> For the past 2 years I have been doing this, regardless of whether I have 1
> or 20 Fiber in a meal. This adjusted my carb to insulin ratio. Now my HbA1c
> is averaging between 4.9 and 6.0 (6.0 was during the period I cheated a
> bit, holidays and all that). Once you try this, you may find you have to
> adjust your insulin to card ratio. Initially try it with foods that don't
> cause unusual results such as Pizza or Bagels. Then when you have it in
> balance, experiment with those foods.

Let me see if I've got this straight...

I"ve got a can of Chunky Chicken Noodle Soup here in front of me, and
it is 2 servings per can and each serving has 16g of Carbohydrates.
Now I also read that each serving has 2g of Dietary Fiber, so that
means that for each serving I would bolus for 14g of Carbohydrates,

If thats true, and it can (help me) lower my HbA1c down even a 1/2 a
point, I'll be quite happy!

I have GOT to get me one of THESE!           -Captain Steven Hiller