Re: [IP] Advice sought from those who count protein

Original Message:
From: Rabbi Hirsch Meisels email @ redacted
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 14:54:20 -0500
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Advice sought from those who count protein

Shaun Oakey wrote:

<<< A couple of months ago I started experimenting with including a portion
protein in my carbo count, and giving an ordinary pre-meal bolus. My blood
sugars immediately improved dramatically ...

Is there a common cut-off point below which you don't bother counting the
protein? >>>

I know many people who only cover if they eat more then 4 oz, of protein in
the meal.  Try it out.  YMMV

If you are interested I have an Excel spreadsheet that lists the protein
factor for all 6,000 foods of the USDA database.  It uses a 50% formula, and
is displayed in a percentage format same as the carb factors from pumping
insulin book (i.e. you have the weigh the food to use the formula).

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
Jewish Friends With Diabetes

Reply from email @ redacted

Proteins should be kept in low profile. Most items with proteins include
fats. Both of the above are not to be taken in large doses per day.
Proteins may contribute to BGs, but you will find a better way to correct
your counting if you subtract fiber from the carbs total when calculating.
For the past 2 years I have been doing this, regardless of whether I have 1
or 20 Fiber in a meal. This adjusted my carb to insulin ratio. Now my HbA1c
is averaging between 4.9 and 6.0 (6.0 was during the period I cheated a
bit, holidays and all that). Once you try this, you may find you have to
adjust your insulin to card ratio. Initially try it with foods that don't
cause unusual results such as Pizza or Bagels. Then when you have it in
balance, experiment with those foods.

Good Luck

http://mail2web.com/ .