[IP] Re: DKA

I must comment on the DKA discussion, briefly. YES, DKA can happen quickly,
overnight or later. We are all different in our response to inadequate
insulin and insulin action times. Some people may have ketones at 140,
others at 540, etc....

THE best you can do is test often--if you know you are w/o insulin then you
must inject (every 4 hours if using humalog/novolog) and test your blood
sugars every 2 hours--to avoid DKA. If it is overnight, then, I pray that
you will wake up feeling ill and test b4 you end up in the ER. Also, remind
your spouse/family/SO (if applicable) to be aware of your breath "odor"--it
can give away the DKA or ketotic breath--and if you are breathing deeper
than normal--also a sign/symptom of DKA.