[IP] Re: IP] Camp ?-Rodney & any others who know-- camp jordan in VA

for those of you who live in VA,

i attended camp jordan (in barhamsville, va-- about 20 min. west of williamsburg)-- for two years,
and it was hands down the best diabetes experience i could ever recommend for a diabetic kid,
pumping or not. it's a two-week-long program (last week of july, first week of august) that
consists of about 60 kids or so, and the medical staff is made up of volunteer endocrinologists,
nurses, dietitians, and EMTs. the program is for kids between grades 4 and 9. the counselors are
employees of makemie woods camp and conference center, which runs its own summer camp program the
rest of the summer, and these staff members go through a week of intense diabetes training with
the docs before the kids arrive (we called it "ketone academy"; my firsthand experience proved
helpful in teaching other counselors in ketone academy how to be empathetic with their kids). some
staff members choose to try to live the diabetic lifestyle along with their kids for those two
weeks, taking saline shots and testing their BG intensively the whole time. the kids get a huge
kick out of watching a 22 year old try to give himself a shot; and my group of kids thought it was
"SOOO cool" that their counselor actually WAS diabetic!

i went to camp jordan in 1993 and 1994, and liked it so much that i came back for the makemie
woods sessions that ran concurrently with CJ in 1995 and 1996 after i was too old for CJ. i know
several other diabetic kids who were past the ninth grade who also chose this option. i also
worked there as a counselor for three years after i turned 16, and have volunteered as a helper
and lifeguard for two years after that. some of the kids i went to camp with then are on the
summer staff now.

the website for the camp is http://www.makwoods.org/mw/cjordan/index.html and the website for the
host camp, makemie woods, is http://www.makwoods.org/mw/index.html. both camps come with my
highest recommendations; my memories of summer camp both as a diabetic kid and as a counselor are
some of my very fondest, and i can't think of a better opportunity for any kid with diabetes to
get to feel "normal."  feel free to email me if you have any questions. who knows-- if you decide
to send your child there, he or she might see me at the pool or the canoe landing next summer!

Do you Yahoo!?