[IP] Action of IV Prep

> While I'm no chemist, IV Preps are listed on the box as being "antiseptic
> wipes" so perhaps they consider the 70% Isopropyl Alcohol as being the only
> active ingredient for that purpose.  There are other ingredients listed as
> inactive, but any of them could aid in the adhesiveness of the infusion
> sets.  The inactive ingredients are:  Purified Water, Butyl Ester of Pvm/MA
> Copolymer, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, and Triclosan.  These ingredients might
> be called "inactive" since they probably don't make the wipes
> antiseptic.  Just my thoughts.
> > RoseLea

I did a Google search on the ingredients you mention that are listed as
inactive.  I can't see that they are inactive given their chemical

Copolymer which forms a glossy and non-sticky finish and exhibits good
adhesion and moisture resistance.
(found on a website describing hair products)

Acetyl Tributyl Citrate is a plasticizer or carrier solvent permitted in the
field of food additive, food contact material as well as for polymers
specially for cellulosics. It is also used in synthesis flavoring substances
and adjuvants. Acetyl Tributyl Citrate can be used as a component of

Triclosan ia a broad-spectrum antibacterial/ antimicrobial agent which is
classified as a Class III drug by the FDA. It is manufactured by Ciba
Specialty Chemical Products under their trade name Irgasan DP300. Triclosan
(generic) is also produced by a number of other manufactures outside of the
U.S. located in Switzerland, the Netherlands, China, India,
South Korea and elsewhere. As a result of its bacteriostatic activity against
a wide range of both gram-negative and gran-positive bacteria it has found
increasing and recent popular use in personal care
    products, cosmetics, anti- microbial creams, acne treatment, lotions and
hand soaps. It is also used as an additive to plastics, polymers and textile
to give these materials "antibacterial properties".

Denise Guerin