[IP] Re: Red Glucagon box

When I was diagnosed 29 years ago, I think it was a cardboard box.  When I
went to college, I figured no one would give me a shot so I stopped getting
them after that and luckily have never needed it.

When my daughter was diagnosed in November she got a red box glucagon kit and
it does seem like it is easier to use than the old ones would have been.  Her
dorm is right accross the street from the emergency room and I think her
friends would probably drag her there before giving her a shot but there are
some nursing majors on her floor so if they were around they could maybe do
it.  Since the Glucgon RX was written to be refilled every month,  I got
another one (while I still had insurance that would cover it at 100% - they
are $95.00 at my Walgreens) so now I have one at home and she can keep the
other at school.

I don't think my daughter is excessively worried about going low but she did
tell me that when she's with me she feels safer, knowing that I would know
what to do.  I feel better about having the glucagon in the house if either
one of us needs it but hopefully we won't.

I also thought it was strange in Panic Room that the girl could tell the
robber how to give her Glucagon.  I'm pretty sure that at that point I
wouldn't be able to make sense.  I also thought it was strange that when the
girl's BG was 70, that the Mom didn't start thinking of getting her daughter
some carbs at that point.  I told my daughter this and she said the Mom was
worried about other things.  I'm pretty sure the fear of your child going low
would override most fears.  Of course my daughter isn't a parent and maybe
hasn't been diabetic long enough to have it be a pretty automatic concern
about being too low.  ALthough she does realize that it is important for her
to always be aware of how she feels (i.e not impaired by alcohol) and be able
to take care of herself.

Type 1 - 29 years, pumping 3 1/2 years, age 45
and daughter Melinda - Type 1 - 2 months, MDI, age 18