Re: [IP] Action of IV Prep

>So - someone please tell me why is it that I (or my insurance) is paying
>for IV Prep pads when alcohol wipes should be able to do the same thing? I
>know I've used alcohol wipes when I'm out of IV Preps - with very poor
>results. Sets just will not hold with just an alcohol swab down. Anyone
>know the answer???
>-gail in denver

While I'm no chemist, IV Preps are listed on the box as being "antiseptic
wipes" so perhaps they consider the 70% Isopropyl Alcohol as being the only
active ingredient for that purpose.  There are other ingredients listed as
inactive, but any of them could aid in the adhesiveness of the infusion
sets.  The inactive ingredients are:  Purified Water, Butyl Ester of Pvm/MA
Copolymer, Acetyl Tributyl Citrate, and Triclosan.  These ingredients might
be called "inactive" since they probably don't make the wipes
antiseptic.  Just my thoughts.