[IP] Action of IV Prep

Was bragging to my boyfriend last night about how cool
the IV Preps are since they have some magical
oil-removing substance in them and I can use them for
household chores that require a very clean surface
(eg. applying stick-um things).

He (having a PhD in chemistry) took a look at the
package and informed me that the ONLY active
ingredient is 70% isopropyl alcohol.  Sure enough -
that's what the package says.

So - someone please tell me why is it that I (or my
insurance) is paying for IV Prep pads when alcohol
wipes should be able to do the same thing?  I know
I've used alcohol wipes when I'm out of IV Preps -
with very poor results.  Sets just will not hold with
just an alcohol swab down.

Anyone know the answer???

-gail in denver
Dx'd T1 02/14/72 @ age 11, pumping since 1985-ish,