[IP] Advice sought from those who count protein

> Do you have separate insulin-to-carb ratios for meals with protein and
> without protein?

> Should I extend the square wave beyond 3 hours?

> Should I further reduce the amount of protein I'm counting, to 40%, and if
> I'm still going low, to 30%, etc.? (This seems to me the least logical
> solution.)

This is a complex issue to tackle.  It isn't as clearcut as carbs.

There several issues, and probably more than I'll even list here.

First of all, the estimate of 40-60% of protein converting to glucose is a
rough estimate and can vary depending on how many carbs you eat (as in, the
body doesn't need to convert the protein to sugar if you eat sugar with the
protein...or, at least, if there is still sugar in the system when the
protein becomes a factor).  I use 40% myself...but only for high-protein

There is also what I've called the glucagon effect.  However, only CERTAIN
kinds of proteins (or more specificially, certain amino acids found in
certain proteins) trigger this.  Essentially, these amino acids cause the
body to release glucagon, which causes a delayed rise.  However, it is hard
to predict which foods will cause this unless you see a pattern for
yourself.  (I, personally, see it with Pizza, but not with burgers...which
makes sense because cheese is supposedly one of those proteins that CAN
cause the release of glucagon into the system.)

So, coming up with an accurate bolus for protein is not so clear-cut. You
should try keeping track of those high-protein foods you eat, and how they
affect your BGL.  After a while, you might see a pattern that you can
correct for more accurately.

And, as I said, there are likely other factors playing into the protein
bolus issue that I'm not even looking at here.  :-)