Re: [IP] Re: Glucagon Kits

> My insurance (my parents' which covers me)does not cover glucagon at all.
I believe this is because they say it is not a "necesscary" treatment. I
know all insurance plans are different, but does anyone's insurance cover
glucagon (espescially if it did not origonally and you convinced them to
cover it?)  It seems to me that, although it is only for emergencies,
glucagon is quite "necesscary".

Perhaps others here know better than I do, but years ago, when I had the one
unconscious low I've ever had, I was in college.  My supplies had both
glucagon and the liquid "Insta-glucose" (or something like that).  I had
told my roommate how to administer glucagon, but when the moment actually
arrived, neither she nor my RA wanted to do that.

Instead, they used the insta-glucose and squeezed it into the side of my
cheek, between my teeth and cheek.  It was a mess--I reflexively spit it out
and they kept trying to push it back in, but somehow, enough of it absorbed
that I regained consciousness.

I remember when I woke up, the glucose was everywhere, even making my
eyelids stick together, because someone had tried to look at my eyes during
that time.  But it did the job.  When we told my doctor about that later, I
was told that there was actually some disagreement about which treatment was
really better, the liquid glucose or the glucagon.

I wonder if, perhaps, people like you could just try to keep that liquid
glucose on hand?  I suspect that most people believe the glucagon is a
superior treatment option, but that stuff is an inexpensive option that can
also do the job.

As I said, maybe someone else knows better than I do about that, but in my
experience with an unconscious low, glucagon really WASN'T necessary.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990