Re: [IP] Re: Kleenex

Shawna <email @ redacted> wrote:

> What about all the bacteria in your mouth?  Doesn't your mouth have more
> than just about any other place on your body, aside from the "tail-end" of
that same
> system?

Not necessarily.  Besides, it's your own bacteria.  Further, the immune
system is really quite capable of protecting from most of the little bumps
and scrapes to the skin.

> That's why you're not supposed to blow on your infusion site when you're
> preparing it.

Different situation.  A finger prick barely reaches into the epidermis, and
then it's gone.  An infusion set is inserted into the subdermal fat layer,
and it's indwelling for several days.

> And they always say (I don't know who "they" are) that the mouth of an
> animal has fewer germs than the mouth of a human.  Hard to understand
> they clean their tail end with that mouth, but a vet told me it's because
of our diets.

I think it's probably more urban legend than anything else.  I've never seen
any research studies that support the notion.

Jim Handsfield