Re: [IP] flying

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:44:18 -0600
From: "Tom L" <email @ redacted>

My husband & I are flying for the first time and I was wondering if anyone
any suggestions to make the trip less stressful.  We live in Wisconsin and
flying to Mexico 1/11/03.  I am on the insulin pump almost one year and will
be bringing an extra pump along.  I am told a note from the doctor will not
do, but all supplies must have the pharmacy label on.  Not all my supples
labels since I have not used the first insulin pen and do not have all the
containers I got them in last January and do not need any new supplies.

Where do I put my supplies?  In my purse or carry on.  What do you do with
needles?  I have a needle container, but will they let me carry this along,
both ways?  Do I insist that certain things do not go through the security

I am not afraid of flying, but terrified about getting both ways through
security, with all my supplies.

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Hi Linda,

I just flew this last spring, internationally, with a pump, a pen, syringes,
Novolog, Lantus and everything.  I was advised to travel with a letter from
my doctor and prescription labels on everything, which I did.  Let
everything go through security, if they question anything, you can explain.
I also feel it is important to be prepared for a complete pump breakdown, so
having an extra pump, or supplies for MDI is important.

I did have to produce my letter when I flew from Manchester airport in
England to Washington DC.  My answer to "are you carrying anything sharp"
had to be syringes.  But the security person was very polite and I was not
even really detained.  All he did was photo copy my letter.  But my
supplies, in my carry on bag, were scanned on the conveyor belt and never
questioned.  My pump never set off the metal detector.  I always had my pump
on my belt, in plain sight.  I often pointed it out to security personnel as
I went through the metal detector, who gave me a bored look as if they'd
seen it all before.  :-)

Frankly, for peace of mind?  I think it's worth it to have prescription
labels on everything, even if you don't need supplies.  And have you
contacted the airline to see what their policy is?  They seem to all treat
things differently.

There's an excellent set of instructions on the insulin pumpers site also.
Also, my pump company, Animas, had an excellent set of instructions for me
to follow during plane travel.

Finally, really, the only glitch in my whole travel scenario, which involved
many plane changes etc, was in Dulles, DC.  The security person mistook my
pump for a beeper.  He kept insisting that I remove my "beeper".  I kept
calm, and explained carefully.  Finally, a superior came by and waved me
through.  I could see the poor guard getting a tongue lashing from his
superior.  I actually felt sorry for the poor chap.

So worry not, and be prepared for anything, is what I say.  good luck!  Feel
free to e-mail me privately.  Enjoy your trip!

Warmly, Margaret