Re: [IP] Protein and fat intake and blood glucose

At 04:25 PM 1/31/02 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
This is what I have found from my research.

Amino Acids Stimulate the Release of Both Glucagon and Insulin

A rise in blood amino acid concentration (the result of protein metabolism)
stimulates the secretion of both glucagon and insulin. The insulin is
secreted to stimulate protein synthesis--the uptake of amino acids into
muscle cells--making them less available for gluconeogenesis. The glucagon
is secreted to stimulate the uptake of amino acids into the cells of the
liver for gluconeogenesis.

So why are these two hormones battling for opposing uses of the same amino
acids? Isn't that non-productive?

Actually, the phenomenon serves an important purpose. As you probably know,
insulin lowers the blood sugar, while glucagon raises it. In the
non-diabetic state, the release of these two opposing hormones ensures that
the amino acids are used for protein synthesis (because of the extra
insulin) but the blood sugar doesn't drop to dangerously low levels, even
if the meal was low in carbohydrate. As a result, blood glucose
concentration remains reasonably stable during protein metabolism.

The insulin and glucagon essentially cancel each other out in terms of
their effect on blood glucose, while the insulin is still able to promote
protein synthesis.

But in people with diabetes, the release of glucagon without insulin or
with impaired insulin response can cause our blood sugar to rise
precipitously several hours after a meal high in protein. This is due not
only to the glucagon's directly raising the blood sugar, but also to the
fact that in the absence of insulin it increases the amount of the amino
acids that are used for gluconeogenesis.