[IP] Re: increased blood glucose and fat intact

Hi Meha!

Just using your example...cheese contains a lot of
protein. If you eat a large amount of protein all at
once, some of that, over a period of several hours,
will convert to glucose (some sources say up to 60%).
Typically the bgs will rise 4-6hrs later. Some people
find they need to account for protein, others don't.
Perhaps you are one who needs to? The protein,
combined with a lot of fat, can keep the bgs elevated
for hours (some sources say up to 24hrs).

What you describe about the bgs being high for up to
24hrs, sounds (to me) like classic insulin resistance
from the fat (possibly partly caused by a large amount
of protein). Have you tried using a square or dual
wave bolus (I don't remember if you mentioned trying
this). Changing the timing of the bolus may be helpful
as well.

Hope this helps.

Meha said:
...I have trouble with fat by itself...I notice a
difference in my glucose levels for up to 24 hours
after I eat things like too much cheese. In fact I
find I tend to eat too much fat when I keep my carb
intake very low on a diet similar to Atkins...

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-11, dxT1 5.2yrs, pumping 2.2yrs
Military Families of Children with Diabetes [MFCWD] parent
network of WA, diabetes & pump mentor, future CDE, but most
importantly, mom to 8 beautiful blessings :)
~*~Integrity is how you behave when no one is looking~*~

Do You Yahoo!?