Re: [IP] fat intake and blood glucose

-----Original Message-----
From: Meha Harthill <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2002 8:59 AM
Subject: [IP] fat intake and blood glucose

>I have read many places that fat intake does not
>increase blood glucose, but I have found otherwise

The answer to that is that fat DOESN'T increase BG's, BUT and this is a BIG
but, it increases insulin resistance, so that you would need more insulin
for the same amount of carbs.

So if you bolus for carbs as you would for a low-fat meal, and then eat a
high-fat meal, you will find that your BGs are high because it wasn't enough
insulin to do the job in an insulin-resistant metabolism. If you're going to
eat a high-fat, high-carb meal, you have to adjust your insulin accordingly.

In addition, the insulin resistance may last quite a long time, which is why
little Johnny has pizza for dinner, boluses for it, but wakes up high -- the
bolus ran out, and the basal was insufficient for the amount of insulin
needed by the resistant metabolism.

Which is NOT to say that it's easy to compensate for, because it's NOT --
you have to know how long the IR lasts for how much fat, and also factor in
exercise and anything else that DECREASES insulin resistance.

That's why you CAN'T expect to have perfectly normal BGs all the time --
there are too many factors affecting BGs one way or the other, and you only
really have control of a few of them -- the others are unpredictable and
unmeasurable. And your body is NOT helping, at all!!!!

Natalie ._c-