[IP] Re: Adkins diet

In a message dated 1/31/02 6:17:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I highly doubt that ketones are safe for anyone, does that not mean that the
> body is vreaking down on protein, which leads to lean muscle breakdown?
Ketones are NOT safe for anyone.  I do not have DM, its my little girl who
uses a pump.  But years ago after a routine doctor check-up, the doctor
phoned me back to come in and talk to her.  She said that I had ketones in my
urine sample and wanted to know if I had had breakfast that morning.
(Couldn't remember).  Even without DM, ketones are toxic; some people produce
them more easily.  I also had a friend whose sister (non-DM) was rushed to
the hospital unconscious from ketones--she was on a low carb diet at the
     Now when Claire was dx with DM, the nurses told me all about the dangers
of ketones with high blood sugar, but I knew ketones as something you got
when you didn't eat.....They couldn't explain to me the difference and didn't
understand the reasoning.  Very sad--luckily our local library had a couple
of good books about diabetes and kids, so I could educate myself.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7