I"m a Type 1 Diabteic and have been for over 23 years.  Before going onto the Pump I tried the Atkins Diet while I was using NPH and Regular Setup.  I was taking 40 NPH + 2 to 5 Units of Reg in before Breakfast and 30 NPH + 2 to 5 Units of Regular at 5 to 6 PM.

When I started the Atkins Diet I was able to cut my insulin in half and not have to take any Regular Insulin.  So  I ended up w/ taking 20 Units of NPH before breakfast and 15 Units of NPH around 5 PM.  My Blood Sugars were averaging around 80 to 125 once I figured everything out.   But,  It takes alot of testing.  With the Atkins diet I took out all of my low and high sugars( UPS and Downs) and lost 30 lbs.   I went from 243 to 213 within a 4 mos period eating no more than 20 carbs a day.  Once I got to my desired weight I slowly increased the carbs to 50 to 70 carbs a day to maintain that weight and maintained it for over a year.

But,  Now I'm on the pump and have been on it since Oct 2001.  My daily insulin usage is between 50 to 65 units if I want to eat carbs.  Last Week I tried a test w/the Atkins Diet.  I went back on the diet for a week.  I wanted to see what it would do to my insulin rates.  My Daily amount went to 30 units daily.  I did not have to Bolus for any meals.

I have been seeing alot of study showing that Diabetics that eat a Low Carb Diet + exercise  is very good for them.
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is a very good book to purchase.  My Endo has also mentioned to me that a Low Carb diet is very good for me.  He did not say NO CARB..   Keep in mind that the Atkins diet want you not to eat anymore than 20 carbs a day to get to your ideal weight.  Once you are there then you need to increase your carb intake until you stop loosing weight.

The average person should not be eating anymore than 50 to 70 carbs a day.  If you eat anymore than that it stores it as fat!!  Now you have a FAT BANK!!

There has been no study. Showing that Dr. Atkins Diet is bad for you.

Gotta Run!!  That's my 2 cents worth.

> Gina <email @ redacted> wrote:

> My doctor told me that he would personally kick my a** is he found me
> the Adkins Diet.

Note - this is my personal opinion only:  GOOD FOR YOUR DOCTOR!!!!!

> With the Adkins Diet you are not even allowed to eat fruit.  YES it does
> carbs in it and as I understand a 1/2 strawberry is 2 carbs.

Well . . . 2 grams of carbs, not 2 carb exchanges.

> I highly doubt that ketones are safe for anyone, does that not mean that
> body is vreaking down on protein, which leads to lean muscle breakdown?

They are particularly dangerous for anyone who has developed any kidney
problems due to their diabetes (or any other cause, for that matter).  Also
protein metabolites are much harder on the kidneys than carb and fat

Jim Handsfield

John Doyle
Hub Labels, Inc.
18223 Shawley Drive