Re: [IP] requirements for becoming a CDE - long

-----Original Message-----
From: maverickmom <email @ redacted>

>Here is what the 2001 CDE certification handbook says.
>(I am going to be a CDE some day too (notice I didn't
>say 'might be' - I'm determined.) ;) PS...I was told
>that the CDE certification exam is heavily weighted
>towards type 2.

The reason for that is that the VAST majority of patients seen by a CDE in
general practice are Type 2's.

Some CDE's can specialize in Type 1, where the population density warrants
it, but those positions are few. Even those who specialize in children still
have to know about Type 2, because it's being diagnosed more frequently in
children nowadays.

Plus the fact that a CDE really SHOULD be an expert in diabetes of all

Natalie ._c- Type Weird pumper!