[IP] Atkins Diet question

I saw the infomercial for the Atkins Diet on TV last night.  Since it was
mentioned on this list, I thought I would check it out.  I was a bit alarmed
to see that the kit includes Ketosticks.  The info guy said that this diet
puts your body into ketosis and that you want the ketostick to go all the way
up to the darkest color in order to see that your body is burning the fat.  I
knew that an earlier form of the protein diet was called the ketone diet.
That was going around in the early 80s.  It has been almost twenty years
since I attended a class on ketones and ketoacidosis.  I assume that ketosis
is a bit different from ketoacidosis because of the sugar in the urine, but
are ketones supposed to be a safe way to lose weight?  Some of you who have
tried this diet successfully, are there not any health risks at all
associated with passing ketones?