Re: [IP] Questions

In a message dated 1/29/2002 7:09:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Does everyone "disconnect" in a pool or shower?  Or are some pumps able to
>  keep operating in water.

If I'm not mistaken:  The Animas R-1000, Disetronic D-tron, DANA, and MM
Paradigm (when it finally comes out) are all "waterproof" pumps . . . The
Animas has the highest waterproof rating (Tested at 12 ft for 24 hours).  I
paid attention to that one because my daughter is half fish . . . Although
she *can* disconnect, she virtually never does except to hook up a new set
every three days.

In the shower, she just clips her Animas pump to the shampoo rack.  In the
tub, she just sets it on the ledge next to the tub (so as not to cook the
insulin).  In the pool, she just clips it to he bikini bottoms.

Last summer, we spent three weeks in Hawai`i.  In the ocean or in a murky
lake, I ask her to put it in a neoprene sports belt just because I didn't
want to have her $5,500 pump get knocked off during some horseplay and end up
in Davy Jones locker!.  She wore her pump in the ocean at least once a day
while we were there. She also wore it kayaking and snorkeling.  This summer
she plans to try surfing . . .

The thing I like about her staying connected is that she has her pump (with
insulin!) with her at all times if she needs to bolus (like if we kayak out
to the little island in the bay with a picnic) or if she's just not playing
hard enough in the water to make up for all her normal basal requirements.
Plus, then we don't have to worry about finding a safe place at the pool or
beach to store the pump where the insulin won't get roasted, or the pump
won't get lost, damaged, or stolen (as happened to one fellow on the IP list
this summer).

I know some pumpers prefer to disconnect, and some don't have an option
because their pump isn't waterproof, but for us, her having a waterproof pump
has been great.

Pumpmama to Katie (11, dx @9) Happily pumping with her Animas pump 'Elvis'
since 6-1-01