[IP] Re: having something attached

In a message dated 1/28/02 6:50:02 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< Cyndi wrote:

.  I can't stand the thought of having
something permanently attached to me.

Hi Cyndi - I don't like having things attached to me
either, but . . . .  it is far better than having
something DETACHED - like a foot or leg.  That's the
way I think about it.  Most of the time I forget I
have something attached to me, but I bet if I would
lose a limb or my sight, I would think about it all
the time.  Hope this helps put things in perspective.

Pat (pumped!!!!) >>

Pat makes a good point. Thought I'd add my thoughts from a newbie
perspective. I just started pumping this month and the "attachment" issue was
my biggest pre-pump worry. Now, it's the smallest worry. I started pumping
because after 9 years of good to excellent control I had a lab test showing
mild kidney disease that later reversed. The lab test scared me though. I
always thought with good control I would avoid complications, simple as that.
Now I know I have to do the absolute best thing I can do to try harder to
avoid complications.
Being attached to my pump has been a relatively easy adjustment. Getting out
of bed and going to the bathroom are the only times that it's kind of a pain,
but I'm beginning to just react naturally to it. I've found that I really
like wearing it in the leg thing on my lower leg when I wear pants. I use the
longer tubing and this works great for sleeping because I have plenty of
slack to shove it under my pillow and I sleep great and it doesn't tangle. I
disconnect for showers or sex and everything is fine.
Going on the pump has not been this magical experience for me like many other
people on this list. Since I was in good control before, I didn't feel
amazingly better or anything. I'm still working with the CDE on basal rates.
It's been a little hard, but I'm still confident that will change as we keep
tinkering and I keep learning.
dxed IDDM 9/92, pumped 1/10/02