Re: [IP] re:boluses

In a message dated 1/29/2002 6:09:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> here's my 2 cents for you...the square wave lets you stretch a bolus out,
> so instead of it giving,let's say 5 units, right now, you can stretch it out
> over 30 minutes, 60 minutes, etc. the dual wave is a combination...let's say
> you were going to take 10 units total, you can take 6 units "right now" and
> the other 4 units can be stretched out,

This is a very important feature for me, that is why I am starting to
investigate it right now.  When we took Gabriel to see Richard Bernstein (Dr.
Bernstein's Diabetes Solution), Bernstein told us that he (Gabe) had mild
gastroparesis, even though he (Gabe) was only recently diagnosed.

By testing really frequently after dinner (sometimes each hour), we  often
see the b.g. peak for Gabe at 3.5 hours and not 1 hour.  Using Regular
insulin was unpredictable since it would match this curve better, but the
curve is sporadic and unpredictable.

Do you use the extended wave features?  Did you have a certain methodology
for determining how to extend the bolus.  I have used "split" dosing with
Gabe; that is part of the H before the dinner and a portion at the point
where b.g. starts to rise.  But it is a pain in the neck (and elsewhere) to
figure out when to give the second dose.  I guess that is more of an issue of
continous glucose monitoring than anything else.

Just curious how many people actually use the features of extended bolusing
and biopulse.  And how they figured it all out.

Thanks for your info.