Re: [IP] Re: when to change from a ped endo

My daughter with diabetes is 18 and away at college.  She still sees a
pediatric endocrinologist and about a year ago, I asked the doctor that
very same question.  She recommended that if the teenager is going to be
continuing on with college, that the teen stay with the pediatric doc
because these kids have the same kinds of problems/questions that other
kids do who are still in school.  She said that if the teen was joining
the work force, then she would suggest an adult endo.

Hope that helps!!!     Bev Paul

>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To:
<email @ redacted> >Subject: [IP] Re: when to change from a ped
endo >Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 08:04:34 EST > >Hi, > >My son is 15. We have
used the ped endo at our local children's hospital since he was dx'd at
11. Our favorite endo left the hospital about 18months ago and we have
not been thrilled with the services offered there at this time. For
example, at our last visit I asked about the a1C that could be done right
at the office where the results are available in about 5 minutes. Their
comment to me was that at this time the machine was not "cost effective"
for the hospital. I wanted to scream! I have been thinking for awhile
about switchings endo's anyway- this was the last straw. What I was
wondering was since my son is 15 are their any benefits in staying with a
ped endo? I don't have many if any local options and wonder is an adult
endo would even see him at 15. I would appreciate any advice from
families who have already gone through this transition. Thanks. Janet