[IP] Questions Re Use of Temp Basal Vs. Basal Profile

I have some questions concerning how and when to use the variable
'basal profile' vs the 'temp basal' feature in relation to preventing lows
during and after vigorous exercise.

My 12 year daughter is using the MiniMed 508 but we're relatively new to the
pump, having started just three months ago. She is very active in sports
(basketball, soccer, ringette) and fairly regularly,we're involved in
tournaments that involve a lot of intense exercise (i.e. five or six games
over a two to three day weekend).

We've just recently discovered using different basal profiles during
tourament weekends. We've set up 'Pattern A'  (a .10 drop from each standard
basal rate) to use on Day 2 of tournaments. We go to 'Pattern B' on Day 3 of
tournaments (again a .10 drop in basals from Pattern A). This practice has
been more successful than not, but we've still been headed for lows in the
night and had to switch to a temporary basal within the modified profile
itself. It requires a tremendous amount of middle of the night monitoring by
my husband and myself during those tournament nights, and I wondered if
there's an easier way to avoid those potential lows.

(I also think we could really use a continuous glucose monitor during those
times instead of having to test her five and six times throughout the night
watching for lows. But from what I've heard, these devices haven't been
developed well enough yet to be immediately helpful and they're not readily
available for patient's use in Canada.  Is that correct? Does anyone know
more about this Sleep Sentry device that monitors increased perspiration and
temperature drop related to lows that we might possibly use in these
situations?  I believe I've read they're now available in the U.S. but I
wondered where we would get one from.)

We also have specific questions pertaining to using the temp basal feature
as well. We've used a temporary basal for regular days (not
tournaments)when she has two games in a day.  If you use this feature after
exercise, how long do you keep it on?  One hour, four hours, etc.? When
we've used the temp basal rate, we've kept it on too long and then she's
gone high. (As it's hard to know when post exercise lows may strike, I've
opted to keep it on too long rather than not long enough.)

We'd like to get this worked out somewhat,as her school is going on an
overnight three day ski trip and parents are not allowed to come (at all!).
I'd love to get her into a routine that she could follow during periods of
intensive exercise so that she's safe from lows and we can get some much
needed sleep and peace of mind!!

I'd appreciate any help you can provide.  Thanks.

Lori, Mom to Kirsten, age 12 yrs.