Re: [IP] cytomel

Robin,  I use both cytomel and synthyroid, and have for about the last 18
months.  Your hearing was OK, for my endo told me that the cytomel is for T3,
synthyroid for T4.  The half life of cytomel is just 24 hours I believe, where
the half life of synthyroid is approximately 14 days; you will usually feel
the effects of cytomel immediately, whereas if you get off track or are just
starting with synthyroid, it will take a couple of weeks for there to be any
real affect.

I take a mixed dose of cytomel:  for one week prior to and after my period I
take 10 mcg, then cut down to 5 for the other two weeks.  Part of this is for
the extreme fatigue related to my menses; in addition, since thyroid meds are
antagonistic to insulin, they reduce my hypos post-menstrually.  Causes some
real problems during the pre- phase but I've learned to compensate for it
(thank God for my pump!).  I have an extremely busy schedule:  up at 3:30 AM,
leave for work at 5, don't get home until 5PM and have to take care of all the
household stuff - I need the extra boost, too!.

Good luck, and here's hoping you notice an increase in energy and that your
levels straighten out!  Feel free to contact me off-list if you want more

Kathy Fagan
Dx 10/68, pumping 12/17/82