[IP] Re: leaving children alone

From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: leaving children alone

Hi This is Sylvia, mom to Joshua who has been pumping 2 years now and just
turned 10.  Like Barb, mum to CLaire, the cell phone is an excellent
to have around.  I am now more comfortable leaving Josh at home for a few
hours alone but he knows that the cell phone is always on when I am away
him.  Shoot I even have the cell phone on during school so they can contact
me if needed!  Since Josh was dxd at age 5, I have been doing most of his
care.  But he is really good at BG checks and calculating, in his head no
doubt, his bolus factors and carb ratios.  Now if I can just get him to
remmeber to bolus the whole amount.  If it is rather large, around 5-7 units
bolus, he splits it up and he is SURE that he did both halves.  But then
up high and if we check his pump memory for boluses I'd say 98% of the time
he forgot half of the previous bolus.  I wish there was a cure for this!!!
But as for leaving him alone, he has shown me on several occasions that he
can be trusted and he is getting better at recognizing highs and lows as he
gets older.   But as a parent of a child with D.  I sure do find it hard to
let go!!!!!!

mom to Joshua
to Josh) there you go, What mom can ever disengage from their child who has
this disease. It is not like you don't want your kid to be independant, I'd
say with only a few exceptions, most parents feel that they cannot let go. I
think our kiuds need us for a variety of reasons not just support or hand
holding because they are young but aslso for reassurance. holding a child
during a technicolor yawn is important as is running for oj even if your
kiud can do it foir themselves. Even doctors have to be moms once in a
while. spot