[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #58

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:54:20 +0000
From: "Amanda Hagen" <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Lantus and pregnancy

I am T1 you may have been reading my posts intitled Diabetes and In Vitro
Fertilization.  I have been trying to conceive for one year now.  Iwent
on the pump for better control.  I keep my sugars in a 4.9-6.9 range as
that is what is required during pregnancy.  Also tell her to start on a
prenatal vitamin that has the required amount of folic acid.  Not taking
Folic acid is like having high blood sugars in the beginning of pregnancy
it can cause a lot of developing effects.  I am sure you know all this
already.  I am not sure if  different insulins are bad during pregnancy.
My Reproductive Endocronologist always says just remember Amanda
"Diabetes is bad for Pregnancy and Pregnancy is bad for diabetes"  I take
his word for it but still desire to carry and parent a child of my own.
Good Luck to your niece.

Hi Leanne,
In addition to all of the above great information, it is important for her to get in really good BG control, even before she gets pregnant. Lantus, is not any different from the other insulins re: dangers to pregnancy per say. But even women who are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, are sometimes put on a pump to maximize their BG control and help to decrease complications. It really would be wonderful if she can get on a pump now, before she gets pregnant. Also a good perinatologist is a wonderful person to have when you have diabetes and are pregnant. Good luck.

Joann, Mom to Cara, Type 1, 16 y/o