Re: [IP] Lantus and pregnancy

I am T1 you may have been reading my posts intitled Diabetes and In Vitro
Fertilization.  I have been trying to conceive for one year now.  Iwent
on the pump for better control.  I keep my sugars in a 4.9-6.9 range as
that is what is required during pregnancy.  Also tell her to start on a
prenatal vitamin that has the required amount of folic acid.  Not taking
Folic acid is like having high blood sugars in the beginning of pregnancy
it can cause a lot of developing effects.  I am sure you know all this
already.  I am not sure if  different insulins are bad during pregnancy.
My Reproductive Endocronologist always says just remember Amanda
"Diabetes is bad for Pregnancy and Pregnancy is bad for diabetes"  I take
his word for it but still desire to carry and parent a child of my own.
Good Luck to your niece.

[IMAGE]Amanda Hagen[IMAGE] >From: email @ redacted >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] Lantus
and pregnancy >Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:48:36 EST > >Hi all, > >No, I'm
not pregnant! LOL But my boyfriend's niece has been T1 since 1986 >(age
of Dx: 14) and wants to get into better control so she can become
>pregnant. I've suggested that she join this list to get info, but for
now >she is still on MDI and is thinking maybe she should go on Lantus
(she's >currently on 3 injections...Humalog and NPH). > >However, she had
a concern about Lantus--said her doctor didn't know whether >Lantus was
okay during pregnancy. Anyone have info about that that I can >pass
along? > >TIA >Leeann