[IP] Early Complications(was re:kid's attitudes and testing)

email @ redacted writes:
 "Beverly, I know that depression in children can be very complicated.  But
the other problems you mention, are they all related to the diabetes?  And if
so, have you been offered any explanation of why she has such problems at such
a young age and short time after diagnosis?"
email @ redacted responds:
"[diabetes is a] disease of complications and only recognizes five years of
diabetes not that
she is just 8..They believe it all to be diabetes related, inc the

I guess I have some experience in this field although I am 20, not 8.  I was
diagnosed with diabetes at 16.  About six months later I started getting
dizzy-headed frequently, pain after eating whether it be one cracker or
dinner, despite bringing my HbA1c back to 7.1 within two months of diagnosis.
Then just before I had had diabetes a year I experienced shooting, stinging
and burning pains in my arms, legs, hands, and feet constantly, and only after
twice being hospitalized, once for temporary paralysis (I think I couldn't get
the nerves to signal correctly since they kept signaling incorrectly) I was
able to get a referral to a neurologist who did the whole EMG test and said I
definitely had neuropathy.  Also, he said it is not uncommon to experience
"insulin neuritis" from shocking the system back into control, which I
apparently did, and that youths who experience this are sometimes able to
reverse it because, as has been discovered, nerves can repair themselves, but
only at about 1mm/month.  I also went to a gastrologist, who is my best
friend's father, and received treatment for stomach ulcers and reflux.  So
thanks to the miracles of "lotsa drugs and therapy" I function mostly normally
and now only get *new* *fun*, autonomic neuropathies, which are not likely to
go away, about once a year and just increase doses of things in my drug
cocktail.  Apparently, I am not as young as I thought and my peripheral
neuropathy has not gone away, but there is a lot I can do to control it,
simply by paying attention to how I feel, reporting changes as soon as they
arrive, and keeping stress minimal.  Also, changing insurance and finding a
smarter, more up-to-date, less on-the-defensive endocrinologist has helped me
stay relaxed and accept everything.
        So that is about as condensed as I can get my story.  I am just trying
to provide you with a sense that with many types of complications, your child
will present distinctly different behavior, such as sleeping whenever
possible, frequently seeming short of breath after minimal movement, walking
more with toes pointing in or out, or staying very guarded to try to avoid
more pain, or eating significantly less often or avoiding certain types of
food that should quickly clue you in, but this does not always present itself
especially with some eye or kidney problems which is why you have to see an
eye doctor or do the 24hr pee test at regular intervals.
I apologize once again for not providing the Cliff's Notes since I tend to
Katy Hawes