Re: [IP] Novolog vs Humalog

On 19 Jan 2002 at 0:50, email @ redacted wrote:

> Is it true that those patients using the MiniMed pump benefit more from
> Novolog (a buffered insulin) in terms of longer lasting sites?  I was told
> that Disetronic users should see no improvement with Novolog because of D's 3
> minute delivery of basal insulin.

   In one word,  No!

I wear a Disetronic and found GREAT improvement by switching to Novolog.  Besides, the tubing problem had been solved years ago by the change from PVC to Polyfin
and occlusions, though they still occur, are not typically in the tubing but at the infusion site.  And as reported at the 2001 ADA Scientific Sessions in Philadelphia::

Insulin Aspart Efficacy and Safety Compared to Buffered Regular Insulin (Velosulin.) and Insulin Lispro for Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion
Bruce Bode, Richard Weinstein, David Bell, Janet McGill, Daniel nadeau, Philip Raskin, Jaime Davidson, Dennis Kim, Rickey Reinhardt

This study examined subjects with Type 1 diabetes from 13 cities in the US for 16 weeks. Subjects were required to use a pump and provide their own pump for the trial. A
total of 132 out of 146 subjects completed the study. Data from the study included:

More subjects using insulin aspart reported no nocturnal hypoglycemia than those using insulin lispro or buffered regular (41% vs. 25% and 20%, respectively)

Subjects in all treatment groups entered the study in good control and maintained good control throughout

Blood glucose levels after meals tended to be lower for users of insulin aspart compared with users of buffered regular

Insulin aspart was shown to be safe and effective for use in an insulin pump