Re: [IP] Children, parents and D

Amy Anderson,

  As the only mother that my Joshua will ever have let me tell you I will
NEVER walk away from him, especially concerning his diabetes.  The diabetes
is NOT his fault nor is it Mine, but we both have to deal with it.  I do not
let the diabetes get used as a a crutch nor do I let it get used as an
excuse.  I did ask this list about dealing with my doubts on always blaming
the D. (well, let me rephrase and say a LOT of the time bu t not always!) on
certain behaviors.  Yes, I have come to recognize certain aspects of certain
behaviors as beeing just plain onery (SP?) or just plain BG trouble.  Josh,
being only 10, has not gotten to the point where he rebels too much about
having to check his BGs when I ask.  But then, on the few occassions he has
my straight answer to his refusal is?  "  That's OK son, don't check.  Oh,
hey, you might as well start packing a bag for when I have to take you to the
hospital though.  Can you do that for me?"  And each time I say that he
reluctantly but without any words goes and checks his BGs.  Then when he
confirms my worries of being out of whack he does what he has to do and
within a half hour he id fine and all is forgotten.  Keep in mind the  ONLY
time (knock on wood) that Josh has been in the hospital is at dxd 4.5 years
ago.  And I've never had to use glucogon on him either...came close once or
twice!  So I think whatever we are doing it much be working but the other
night I was having so many doubts about always thinking it must be the D.
making him act a certain way.  I guess I've always had trouble trusting my
instincts.  Shoot I actually followed my instincts when I took him in and he
was dxd.  I guess I need to rely on them more often and hope that I know
enough to do AND say the right thing.

   And Darrin, I NEVER would even consider punishing or blaming Josh on highs
and lows.  This disease has a mind of its own and you are right, as a child
of 10 he is just now learning more and more responsibilities but he is NOT an
adult and even if he was if he was really high or really low he is no longer
in control...the diabetes is.  That is why having a good support system in
place, as a child or an adult, is SOOOO very important.

  No, Amy, this mom will NEVER walk away!  I'm sorry your's did.  No child
should have to go through that.  I hope you have a good source of comfort in
your life now!

mom to Josh FOREVER