Re: [IP] Re: kids, attitudes, and testing

I have had T1 since age 9.  I was punished many times and humiliated
by many doctors and nurses for having highs and lows.  Damage repair
from this is still underway 29 years later.

As adults,  I believe it is the responsibility of the diabetic to
test when we suspect we are going low *or* when others suspect they
we low *or* when others comment on any change in our "behavior" in
order to minimize the time spend being out of one's normal mind and
behavior and thus being a pain to others.

As a child, children do not fully comprehend responsibility nor are
aware of it at all times (are any of us)?   Thus I believe kids with
Diabetes must never be punished for behavior when hypo nor hyper.
Their behavior in NOT testing *if they ignored the warning signs of a
hypo* must be addressed and reinforced appropriately.

Keeping in mind that it is impossible for us to test each time we
know we should.  As long as it is a "most of the time", that's fine.
I am human, don;t know about some entities on this list though.  ;-/

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for one year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &