Re: [IP] Sending son to dad's for court ordered visitation

My daughter goes to her dad's every other week (and even then, I have her
before and after school weekdays those weeks), so my situation's somewhat
different from yours.  BUT, I can definitely relate to your worries over
whether your EX will be able to adequate care of your son while he's there.

I think the biggest questions you need to answer is what kind of father your
EX is and what kind of relationship do you have with him (can you talk about
your son's needs)?  Also, has he cared for your son since his diagnosis?  The
answers to these kinds questions will define how you will go about making
sure that your son remains safe and healthy while he is with his father.

For example, if you really can't talk to your ex without it turning into an
argument, you might want to put together a package of written materials and
videos about diabetes care and pump management to mail to him.  Or, consider
having your CDE or pump rep contact him to arrange for a pump trainer in his
area to give him training.

Once your son starts pumping, I think you'll be surprised how quickly your
son, even though he's only 8, will become pretty self-sufficient with
operating his pump, counting carbs, and doing set/cartiridge changes.  If you
can focus on helping him to gain confidence in the mechanics of these things,
then "training" your EX long distance gets simpler because you can focus on
"decision making" types of care issues (what to do when he's low, high, etc.)
instead of the details of "how" to do each little thing.

I hope this is at least a little bit helpful for you.  If you can tell me a
little bit more about the situation, I can give you more detail about some of
the materials I've given my EX . . . Good luck!

Pumpmama to katie