[IP] Re: kids, attitudes, and testing

I hope no one takes offense at this long-winded post.  It's, of course,
only one person's opinion.

Well, this is indeed interesting.  I'm getting the impression that parents
think they can blame their kids' lousy behavior on the kids' diabetes.
Come on now.  Sometimes they're just rotten kids.  : - )

Sylvia, why is it so awful to suggest to Josh that he test his sugar?  You
know your son, and you can probably tell when he's just being a not-so-nice
kid.  If you strongly suspect that he is low/high, testing should not be an
option.  It should be DONE.   He has a disease, and that is that.  No
arguments - deal with it.  It's a lousy break; I know because I was a
diabetic kid, too.  But I handled my lows myself -  WAAYYY  before glucose
meters, and I certainly didn't need my parents tellling me to eat something
sweet.  I knew.  It was my responsibility to know.  However, if your son -
or anybody, kid or adult - sometimes doesn't get physical symptoms of
lows/highs, then the obvious answer is to test.  It needn't ruin his
childhood or give him some sort of "attitude" issue about diabetes.
Diabetes impacted my childhood, but certainly didn't ruin it.  You simply
do what you have to do to resolve the current problem, and that's it.

I may sound preachy, and I apologize, for I don't mean to.  But Sylvia, you
seem to be tormenting yourself about harming Josh psychologically in some
way by telling him to test.  Nonsense. You are assisting him in his quest
to control his diabetes. And he knows you're doing it in love and concern,
even though he may balk at that moment.

>From reading everyone's posts, I can see that many of you feel that when a
child goes through puberty, s(he) should be treated with kid gloves and
pussyfooted around (grammar)!  Sorry, I just can't agree.  All stages of
life bring problems.  I think our society makes too much of puberty.
There's too much pampering going on in the name of.."oh, it's such a
difficult time for him/her..."   (?)

Sylvia, I now know the hellish worry my parents (especially my mother) had
to endure many years ago when I was newly diagnosed, and my heart breaks
for all of you out there going through it now.  But you have the advantages
of modern technology - like the pump - and are doing the very best you
possibly can.  You have done research on diabetes that was totally unheard
of years ago.  You have absolutely nothing to reproach yourselves for.  YOU

Josh should realize how very lucky he is.  And, Sylvia, YOU have every
right to ask him to do what he needs to do to help himself.  Go for it!
Remember - he may get mad, but he'll get glad!

Best regards,