Re:[IP] # hrs prior (digest V6 #45)

From: Richard Uhlman <email @ redacted>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 9:21 AM

Which edition of PI do you have? If you have the 3rd edition, re-read the first paragraph on page 80. Basal rate impact for Humalog appears to have an impact on the BG somewhere between 90 to 120 minutes later. So the variance may be anyehre in between (YMMV). And this might not always work for overnight basal rate changes related to dawn phenomenon, but it is a place to start.

Good luck!
> Hi.  I am trying to understand why the "Pumping Insulin" book states that a  basal rate should be changed 3-6 hrs prior to a rise or fall in bg
readings. If the Humalog is gone in 2-3 hrs, why shouldn't the rate change occur 2-3 hrs prior to the rise or fall?  What timing do most people use?  Thanks.