Re: [IP] Child's behavior:when to know?

In a message dated 1/17/02 12:41:23 AM Central Standard Time, email @ redacted

> .  He is 64.  Now that isn't THAT low but obviously
> Josh is changing and things affect him differently these days.  Last night
> he
> was in the 60's also and refused dinner.  I made him start with a glass of
> 'special' milk (milk with a little eggnog mixed in for flavor)  By the time
> he drank that he was ready to eat dinner.....
> Well, here is my question/concern  how to you approach 'off' behavior
> without
> always seeming like you are 'blaming' diabetes?

I have had diabetes for the past 20 years.  I can say with certainty that
many things affect how you will act when your BG is not where it should be.
Sometimes when my BG falls to 60, I feel like it is more down to 20.
Sometimes when it is 180, it feels more like 400.  I cannot rely on how it
feels or how I'm acting.  Testing is a must.  For me, stress plays an
important part.  I agree that there are probably some other factors
contributing to how he acts.  For me, if I'm feeling stressed when my BG
levels go up or down, the feelings intensify.  My wife and kids are usually
understanding, but part of learning to cope with diabetes is learning how my
highs and lows affect other people.  I don't like it when my wife is hormonal
and in a horrible mood.  She gets hurt if my BG level makes me irritable is
affecting how I treat her. Sure, just coping with a condition like diabetes
at his age is very emotional.  Yes, it can really make you feel horrible when
the BG goes up or down.  However, how I handle my BG levels is important
because I have to live in a world where not that many people understand how I
feel.  I'd say there is a very fine line.  Part of it he can't really help at
his age--I know that several times in my life I didn't even know what my name
was when my BG went low.  I'd say go ahead and test if he is not acting
normally. Then, when you have the opportunity, take the teachable moments and
guide him.  He is learning now how he is going to act the rest of his life
when he faces highs and lows.  Diabetes does affect how you feel, but we are
still responsible for how we act just like anyone else with any other