Re: [IP] Child's behavior:when to know?

Although we do not want our children growing up with the attitudes to
blame everything on their health, in cases like these we must make them
test IMMEDIATLY.  I do not have a child with diabetes but it was not so
long ago that my mom was taking care of me.  A test was always done upon
waking, lunch (at school) when I arrived home from school, dinner and
bedtime.  This testing so often we usually caught lows before they were
sever and highs before they were DKA.  On MDI treatment we all know that
this is tough.  Tia it sounds like you are a wonderful parent.  Did you
ask Joshua how his day was.  It sounds almost like there might be
something else going on more than he lets on.  When I was younger
whenever I acted strangely and even now with my husband my mom would test
me.  Often I was freaking out or crying or screaming or just having way
to much fun ;) and it would be low or high.  Keep and eye on him and if
this type of! behaviour keeps up you may want to phoen the school and see
if there  is anything going on as well.

Have Fun and Happy Pumping

[IMAGE]Amanda Hagen[IMAGE] >From: email @ redacted >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted >Subject: [IP] Child's
behavior:when to know? >Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:40:05 EST > >Okay
everyone, especially you parents...I'm struggling tonight! I'm dealing
>with those AWFUL feelings of confusion, frustration, uncertaininty and,
>well, you know! Anyway, right now I'm asking for some input on when to
test >and when not to. Let me explain. Josh came tonight in tears. He
isn't >usually prone to tears very often. But he poked himself in the eye
right >before getting off the school bus (age 10 for those who are new)
and it hurt. > But he couldn't shake it. I'm immediately thinking he is
low. But I try to >comfort him and make suggestions to help him feel
better. He even chooses to >skip TaeKwon Doe class...!!! Then his
attitude gets real crappy...you know >the type I mean, stomps around for
no reason, huffs about being asked to do >the simplest thing, everything
gets blown out of proportion (tonight it was >feeding the animals their
dinner (2 dogs and 1 cat) So now I definately know >that he is 'off' and
we need to find out for sure. Actually this also >happened last night
too! Anyway, I finally had to order him to check BGs, >time for dinner
anyway. He is 64. Now that isn't THAT low but obviously >Josh is changing
and things affect him differently these days. Last night he >was in the
60's also and refused dinner. I made him start with a glass of >'special'
milk (milk with a little eggnog mixed in for flavor) By the time >he
drank that he was ready to eat dinner..... >Well, here is my
question/concern how to you approach 'off' behavior without >always
seeming like you are 'blaming' diabetes? This has ALWAYS been a hard >one
for me. I don't want it to appear like D. is always the reason for
>certain behaviors, but let's face it folks, there are tell-tale signs I
have >started to recognize that there are definately different from
'normal' crappy >attitudes. And then just now, Josh is getting ready to
go to bed and he very >quietly states he is going to check because he is
feeling "down". He is 40. >No mood, no temper, no attitude, just numbness
and feels low. And 40 is >pretty low. >So, ALL of you, give me insight.
Is there an answer to this, is it 'wise' to >always just want to check
BGs when in doubt? Is that sending Josh a signal >about attitudes and D.
? I want to be able to do the right thing to help my >son grow and learn
and understand, but I do stuggle with this! > >TIA!!!!!!!! > >Sylvia >mom
to Joshua >dxd 8/97, H-Tron 12/99 just turned 10 in Dec