[IP] Child's behavior:when to know?

Okay everyone, especially you parents...I'm struggling tonight!  I'm dealing
with those  AWFUL feelings of confusion, frustration, uncertaininty and,
well, you know!  Anyway, right now I'm asking for some input on when to test
and when not to.  Let me explain.  Josh came tonight in tears.  He isn't
usually prone to tears very often.  But he poked himself in the eye right
before getting off the school bus (age 10 for those who are new) and it hurt.
 But he couldn't shake it.  I'm immediately thinking he is low.  But I try to
comfort him and make suggestions to help him feel better.  He even chooses to
skip TaeKwon Doe class...!!!  Then his attitude gets real crappy...you know
the type I mean, stomps around for no reason, huffs about being asked to do
the simplest thing, everything gets blown out of proportion (tonight it was
feeding the animals their dinner (2 dogs and 1 cat)  So now I definately know
that he is 'off' and we need to find out for sure.  Actually this also
happened last night too!  Anyway, I finally had to order him to check BGs,
time for dinner anyway.  He is 64.  Now that isn't THAT low but obviously
Josh is changing and things affect him differently these days.  Last night he
was in the 60's also and refused dinner.  I made him start with a glass of
'special' milk (milk with a little eggnog mixed in for flavor)  By the time
he drank that he was ready to eat dinner.....
Well, here is my question/concern  how to you approach 'off' behavior without
always seeming like you are 'blaming' diabetes?  This has ALWAYS been a hard
one for me.  I don't want it to appear like D. is always the reason for
certain behaviors, but let's face it folks, there are tell-tale signs I have
started to recognize that there are definately different from 'normal' crappy
attitudes.  And then just now, Josh is getting ready to go to bed and he very
quietly states he is going to check because he is feeling "down".  He is 40.
No mood, no temper, no attitude, just numbness and feels low.  And 40 is
pretty low.
So, ALL of you, give me insight.  Is there an answer to this, is it 'wise' to
always just want to check BGs when in doubt?  Is that sending Josh a signal
about attitudes and D.  ?  I want to be able to do the right thing to help my
son grow and learn and understand, but I do stuggle with this!

mom to Joshua
dxd 8/97, H-Tron 12/99  just turned 10 in Dec