Re: [IP] bolusing

<< Leeann:
You stated that the measurements of how much insulin remaining in your body
works fine for you according to the IP book. My question to you is how fast
do you see a change in your b.g. after you bolus?  If I check my b.g. 2 hrs
later, it is still a little on the high side and therefore I think that I
have more insulin working in me at that time.

Also, how does one figure out those percentages?  I'm not very good in math
and don't know how to calculate it...anyone???? (you've got to write out the
formula for me or else I'm totally lost!!!) >>

Admittedly, the Unused Bolus Rule is not easy if you are math-challenged.
;-)  But IMO it's really worth figuring out.  Walsh steps through two
detailed examples on pages 127 and 128 of his book.  I would recommend that
you take some time and slowly go through them until you see what he's doing.
Try not to let it scare or overwhelm you--I think he explains it as clearly
as anyone can, and if you slowly work through it, I know you'll get it.  If
you know someone good in math, you might ask them to help explain it--some
people find it easier to learn from a person than a book.

You asked how fast I see a change in my BG.  According to Walsh, most people
see an effect from a Humalog bolus in 15 minutes or so, a peak at 1-1/2
hours, and a dissipation of it in 3-1/2 hours.  That's pretty true from my
experience, but your experience may be different.  So you're right, at 2
hours, you would still have insulin acting in your body--that's why it's
important to figure out how much is still active, so that you don't overshoot
the corrective bolus.

This is all a lot of trouble, yes, but I felt it was worth it because it
would enable me to bring down a high before it caused trouble to my body or
my A1c results.