RE: [IP] question for pumpers

Janet von Weiler [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with using a pump where the
> person also has a VP (ventricular peritonial) shunt?
> I'm a dietitian working in a small clinic, and we've been
> referred a child with a VP shunt for pump assessment.

How would a shunt or CSF* draining into the peritoneum affect control?  I
think it's reasonable to say that every diabetic should strive for the best
control possible, and the state of the art for those who need insulin is

*Perhaps it should be clarified that the shunt mentioned drains CSF
(cerebro-spinal fluid) from one of the ventricles in the brain into the
abdominal body cavity (peritoneum).

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR