Re: [IP] Wrestling with highs

In a message dated 1/15/02 9:13:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 There was an article in Diabetes Interview in the past several months about
 others with this kind of issue. It dealt primarily with a soccer fan but it
 may be of interest to you. Unfortunately, I dumped all my back issues at the
 first of the year and therefore can not give your a better reference but
 perhaps someone else on the list  can find it for you.
 Pat >>

Hehehe ... I know this one -- I wrote it. It was probably cleaned up a bit,
as I know nothing about soccer, but here's the raw copy:

Jan and Elvis

    "The thrill of victory b& the agony of defeat" can play havoc with your
blood-glucose levels - even if you're merely cheering on your team.
    A 25-year-old Italian man with type 1 diabetes was wearing a Continuous
Glucose Monitoring System both the day before and the day of the semi-final
soccer match between Italy and Holland during the European Soccer
Championship on June 29, 2000.
    Researchers' goal was to find out what stress can do to even a
well-regulated person's glucose levels. And they found out during the soccer
match that stress could deliver quite a kick.
    While the man's blood-glucose levels remained between about 90 and 150
mg/dL the day before the match, the added stress of cheering on his team
apparently head-butted his glucose levels out of bounds.
    Despite following his normal activity, eating and injection regimen on
the day of the match, and refraining from food and drink during the match,
his levels began a sharp rise at the beginning of the game and spiked to 302
mg/dL "at the exact time when penalties concluded the thrilling semi-final
match," said researchers writing about the test in the ??????? issue of ??????
    Researchers say use of the continuous glucose monitor showed the
unpredictability of the body's response to events such as the soccer match,
which limits a person's ability to adjust insulin.
    Oh, yes. In the subject's case, it was the thrill of victory that caused
his sugar levels to spike: His team won. In celebration, he added some extra
insulin to his dinner dosages and his levels were out of the penalty zone in
a short time.

<< > This is kind of a weird problem that I don't know if anyone can answer.