Re: [IP] Anyone from Ontario

>From: "Sara Molyneaux" <email @ redacted>
>Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what OHIP covers for
>diabetics.  I've been covered under my father's insurance (which covers
>everything) since I was diagnosed but may soon have to rely on the
>Ontario Health Insurance Plan.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
>Sara M.

Sara & other Ontario Pumpers:

I recently moved ot Barrie Ontario form Nova Scotia.  In the past 8
weeks I have done some preliminary research and understand that OHIP
does not cover DM supplies nor insulin for anyone between 18 and 65.

However Ontario does have the "Trillium Drug Plan" for anyone who
does not have extensive private insurance.  This plan pays your
prescription drug costs for teh year less 4% of your prior year's net
income (your deductible) as files on your tax return.  I understand
that this plan does not cover pump supplies.

I understand that the Ontario CDA, via provincial funding covers the
cost of test strips if one does not have a private insurance plan.

Hope this helps.  I too want to hear more form Ontario pumpers
regarding coverage.  At this time myself and another local pumper are
planning to start a Simco County Pump Users' Assoc.  We expect some
pump and test meter suppliers who we hope ot have attending from time
to time to bring some free samples ;-/

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for one year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &